Thursday, June 27, 2013

Options

There are a lot of other options for housing other than the mainstream track of securing a 20, 30 or 40 year mortgage.

1) Save money and purchase your place to live outright, without a mortgage from a bank.

2) Make a deal with an owner to finance your place to live and cut the bank out of the equation.

3) Buy land and build your house yourself, at your leisure, while living somewhere else in the meantime.


I think we can all agree that saving enough to purchase a house outright is something that not a lot of Americans can do.  And there aren't a lot of owners who are willing to take a risk on financing their home to an individual.  They are out there, but they aren't very common.  You can keep asking and trying to find a deal, but it's just not something you can easily find.

I have decided to try option 3.  I have seen really good deals on land floating through Craigslist and other sites, so I'm going to take one of them.  And then I will be looking for a prefab cottage or Tiny House to put on it.  Either that, or I'll build one myself.  I've been following the Tiny House movement closely online - I'd like to take part in it.  BTW, my house will be the size of a Manhattan one bedroom apartment so it won't be that "tiny" compared to what I've been living in so far.

This blog will let you follow the story as it unfolds.  This is the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment