Friday, July 5, 2013

Insanity

Driving to NYC yesterday for a July 4th party, I was struck by just how much land is available in Upstate NY.  There is nothing but empty tracts of land as far as the eye can see.  Yet, the few rentals that are available are between $1100 and $1300. EVEN ALL THE WAY OUT IN BREWSTER, NY.  Does anyone see anything wrong with that?

The logical, knee jerk reaction is "well, just build more!"  Why not?  There's plenty of room here, right?  The few times that I have been able to speak to an agent about purchasing land to build an affordable cluster community have convinced me that the real estate market is heavily guarded at every turn, to churn money for property owners.  I have to hide my purpose from everyone involved or they will NOT call me back.  It's pretty insane.

I have resorted to telling agents that I do not believe in mortgages due to my religious beliefs.  That is not so far from the mark, I do in fact believe that no higher power wants rent/mortgage usery or enslavement for human beings.  Why should it matter to them anyway?  There are many levels of business that are not visible or logical, and that is what I am dealing with in this endeavor.

I have the feeling that what seems so simple, will not be simple.  That's ok.  

No comments:

Post a Comment